How Much Does It Cost To Paint A House Exterior? The cost or price to paint the exterior of a house or commercial building in the Brisbane area can fluctuate due to the current condition of the current paint coating applied to the exterior of the dwelling. Some of the other factors which will affect the overall cost are
- Surface Preparation
- Existing Hazardous Coating
- Site Access
- Height Access
- Paint Coatings
- General Repairs
In this guide we will be speaking on the elements required to complete exterior house painting successfully to a standard which will provide the customer with a return on investment over a 5 – 7 year period.
It is important to understand that when painting the exterior of a house or commercial building the first priority should be to protect the building from the elements such as sun, rain, heat, cold, moisture etc when you truly understand this fundamental concept all of the other priorities will become clearer.
Process For Painting The Exterior
The process of painting an exterior of a house or building doesn’t normally deviate much from a general systemised process.
The process for most exterior surfaces is as follows:
- Pressure clean all exterior surfaces to be painted with an anti mold & anti fungus solution. This step is particularly important, in order to create a sound surface for the new paints and primers to stick to, the surfaces must be clean.
- Scrape and sand all loose and flaking paint. This step is what most people associate as the “prep” component of the painting process. When the painters are undertaking this part of the process they are using scrapers with special tungsten blades to seek out and remove previous paint coating which have poor adhesion, then generally following up with a mechanical sander to smooth out the area. The sanding component is important as it scuffs the surface in order to create adhesion for the following new coatings.
- Filling and caulking is generally limited to holes in the surface or gaps in the where the different building materials meet so it inhibits moisture entering.
- Priming is conducted to all previously painted enamel surfaces and any area that has been exposed back to bare from the prep process. The priming component of an exterior painting job is really important as it creates the adhesion needed for the new coatings to stick too. In some instances in order to extend the lifespan of the new paint job, priming of all previously painted surfaces may be required due to heavily degrading previous coatings.
- Application of premium top coats. It is idea to apply two coatings of self priming ultra premium grade paint such as Dulux Weathershield. Depending on the where the building is located you will need to understand the concept of how different sheen levels of the new paint applied can extend the lifespan of the new paint applied to the exterior of the house or building.
The above process may deviate slightly however this is the general way a Brisbane painter will paint the exterior of a house or building . There are several factors that could increase or decrease the cost when it comes to painting the exterior of a house or building professionally.
Possible Additional Cost When Painting A House Exterior:
When the previous coatings are soiled with mold and mildew growth or heavily degraded and the painter needs to spend significant amount of additional time scraping and sanding previous paint coatings which are cracking, peeling and flaking this will ultimately increase the overall cost of painting the exterior of a house or building.
Existing Hazardous Coating
Any house or building built before 1978 will contain the presence of lead based paint. As you may know lead in drinking water is hazardous and the same goes for the lead paint manufacturers used in the early to late 19th century. When sanding and scraping a project with lead based paint special safety precautions and methods need to be utilised to ensure the safety of the buildings occupants, staff and surrounding neighbours.
Do you have a house or building with lead based paint? click here to learn more
- Site Access
Sometimes when painting the exterior of a house or building access to the building may be limited. This could be due to tenants when painting the exterior of a commercial property and may require the painter to only work between certain hours or that the project has no parking spots and will require the painters to pay for parking.
When painting the exterior, height access can sometimes be easy and depending on the location of the project can sometimes be difficult. If your exterior painting job has easy access for painters trestles and the building height is within their limits then you shouldn’t have too many issues otherwise your painter may need to hire mechanical height access equipment or purpose built scaffolding.
When painting the exterior, its important to note that using a cheaper paint wont fetch you a great return on your painting investment or do a very good job protecting the exterior surfaces from the elements. On all exterior surfaces we recommend the use of Dulux Weathershield typically in a low-sheen or semi gloss finish. If you have the presence of masonry render, we would highly recommend the use of a high build elastomastic coating which delivers a paint like appearance with the film builds twice that of standard decorative paint for enhanced crack bridging performance.
Its important to consider that some general repairs may be required to the exterior of the house or building prior to painting. Generally when the exterior is surfaces are weatherboards you may need to allow some repairs to rotted timber. These repairs are generally attended to by a carpenter or builder. Alternatively if the exterior is predominately masonry such as brick or render, repairs such as expansion joints, removing drummy areas and patch repairs to dents and scratches may be required.
Possible Decrease When Painting A House Exterior:
If the exterior surfaces are in good condition and don’t require a lot of preparation then this will decrease the overall cost to paint the exterior of a house or building.
Generally if the building is being repainted and keeps the same colour scheme a one coat refresh can suffice provided it is done more frequently. This can reduce the initial cost significantly provided the exterior surfaces are also in good condition and only need minimal preparation in order to recoat.
Low Set Dwellings
Painting the exterior of a low set dwelling requires little to no scaffolding or speciality hight access equipment. This reduces set up time and dismantling costs which can lower the overall price to paint the exterior of a house or commercial building.
How Much Does It Cost To Paint A House Exterior?
* The above all include premium paint such as Dulux paints and correct preparation in order to produce a finish that will last 5 + years